Friday, March 26, 2010

Remembering Our Signifiers


Epiphany!!! I was driving the other day and was thinking about class and I had an epiphany. Thank goodness I had my school stuff so I could write what I thought down. During class today, I got my notes out and reread what I wrote. After a few lines I was sort of disappointed because all it said was, "We've experienced everything, done everything before..." Then I got to a certain line that was the reason for my epiphany. It said, "This is why everything has a signifier" (ta-da). This might not mean anything to anyone, BUT it meant something to me! I had always thought of signifies as things we learned when we were younger. At some point in my life I knew that an eraser was named so because it erased something. The action or purpose of an object is its signifier. When I learned this with Lisa Eckert, she said that we know a signifier because of what we were taught as children. What if....we automatically know a signifier because we are merely remembering. If Plato is right and all knowledge is already known, just forgotten, then wouldn't signifies be a thing remembered. Knowing subconsciously that a chair is made for sitting could have been learned OR it could just be that we remembered that from a previous experience. I admit, it was a small epiphany, but an epiphany none the less. I seriously almost got into another wreck trying to write my thoughts down. That's how important this idea was.

No comments:

Post a Comment