Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Ability of Time


I like the description of Krishna in Hamlet, just kidding, of course I mean the Bagavad-Gita, or do I mean Zeus and Semele. At least Krishna was nice enough to give Arguna divine eyes to view him. Anyways, all I am trying to say is that I enjoyed this passage. My favorite quote is when Arguna asks "who are you in this terrible form?" Krishna answers, "I am time grown old creating world destruction, set in motion to annihilate the worlds; even without you, all these warriors arrayed in hostile ranks will cease to exist (pg 103)." This made me think, and I'm not sure why, of Eliot saying in The Dry Salvages, "Time the destroyer is time the preserver." It's a short sentence that has so many meanings. Krishna says he is time grown old, but that seems impossible to my thinking. Time is more of what Eliot says, it neither grows old or stays youthful. Time is always time, it will never cease or wait. It is something that can always be counted on, or just counted. Time can be argued to never exist at all. It was a measurement made up by men to count days and lifetimes. Time isn't tangible and can never be truly comprehended, but yet we live every minute through time. Eliot asks us to live in the moment. I think by doing this we can actually defeat time. It no longer has a hold over our actions. Krishna is saying something similar to my thoughts when he says that the "warriors cease to exist." Krishna, being divine, lives outside of time. What happens with Arguna on the battle field does not matter to him. I wonder, really, why is Krishna giving Arguna these valuable lessons. What is the meaning of this? If Krishna is so great that he exist in everything and overcomes time, then why give Arguna a pep talk? Anyways, the essence of time is a questionable existence. How it encompasses our future and has the ability to take captive our past. Time, like Eliot hints, cannot have our present. While living in the present we are disengaged from Time as a divine force. (I like where this is going). Time is a destroyer and preserver because of how it controls our future and past, but time cannot be an action. It can only stay ahead and behind us, never within us. Krishna can be time grown old, because he himself is time. If Krishna is everything than he is also time as we know it.
I feel that the Bagavad-Gita and the Four Quartets match up completely. Eliot and Krishna (and Walt Whitman) talk of the ability to encompass all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment