Monday, March 22, 2010

Listening to the Lighthouse

I have to admit that I didn't read To The Lighthouse when I was suppose to. In all reality I didn't read it at all. However, I think that Dr. Sexson will be very happy with me none the less. I listened to the novel. I rented it from the public library on CD and listened to it on my 10 hour drive home. I'm a firm believer that books are always better when they are read out loud. Although a few students from class found the novel to be boring, (I think this is why I was hesitant to read it) I think the CD version gave the novel its full potential. While driving I would write my thoughts down. I had forgotten that I did this until I started rummaging through my purse. Going over my notes tonight I found these: "Charles epiphany, Mrs. Ramsay made him want to change." "Moments of the leaf-husband, Cam, dinner, walk." "Birds after Lily's epiphany." "She had missed the meaning." 8 daughters + Lily are the muses?" "Mrs. Ramsey on stairs looking at the moon vs. The Dead."

Some of these notes don't make much sense. I do remember my last note though so I'm going to talk about that. After the dinner Mrs. Ramsey checks on the kids and then descends down the stairs (metaphor for epiphany anyone). She stops on the steps and looks out the window at the moon. This image is so similar to the circumstance in The Dead with Gretta. Gabriel sees Gretta on the top of the stairs and recognizes her beauty. Gabriel, because he is the husband (and always messing up) mistakes his feelings for purely sexual. In To The Lighthouse, Mrs. Ramsay is seen by her daughter Prue. Prue has a proud feeling towards her mother. These two instances have two very different emotions. I think Prue gets it right. She tells Mrs. Ramsay that she is going to watch the waves on the shore. Instantly I thought of my part in Four Quartets. Prue, who just had an epiphany, immediately goes to watch the waves. Eliot says that time can only be appreciated when one takes the time to listen. Prue going down to the ocean shows an appropriate reaction that one should have after an epiphany. Prue finds a place where she can reflect.
Mrs. Ramsay, while on the steps, thinks of how the dinner they just had would always be remembered by the people who attended. It gives her comfort to think of how she influences her family and friend's memories. It's a feeling of power to Mrs. Ramsay. Memories will always stay with a person, thus always influencing their present actions. By providing a memory you are permanently stapling your image in another's future.

No comments:

Post a Comment