Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Memory

I was cleaning out my car today and I came across an old CD. It was a favorite of mine back in high school. I immediately remembered times I had spent traveling to concerts and watching the band. I also remembered how small the shows where and how my friends and I were able to wait around a few minutes and then take pictures with the band members after the show. Tonight I decided to google the band. I found that they had put out an album in 2009. I listened to the new album and hated it. It was nothing like the old one I found in my car. There was no rock to it...it made me feel old. Their myspace site had over 70,000 members. They were no longer the band I remembered. I realized how my past was past. I wanted to hold on to a memory and brutally found that, like me, this band had changed to. I then read an article where the lead singer had said,
“We’re really focusing a lot on every angle of the group- from the studio to reinventing the live show. Back when we first started, we were going crazy the whole time and doing back flips, but the last couple years, we’ve been very jam-oriented, spending six or seven minutes messing around like Pink Floyd.”
How dumb! My heart sank after I read this. I wondered why they had to change. They removed everything it was I loved. I loved that they did back flips on the stage. It was entertaining. This remembrance of a favorite band just made me realize the meaning of time passes. I wanted so badely for this one thing to stay the same so I could relive an old concert and an old feeling, but it only reminded me that the past is forever in the past. These band members know this, so why shouldn't I? I found this revelation depressing, that's all. Dr. Sexson always talks about revisiting a place. I felt that today I revisited a place in my past and found a great forgotten memory. When I tried to create a new similiar experience, it failed. I can never recreate what I had because what I had is gone. Just as time changed me, it also changed my band. Although, I don't like this discovery, at least I can say that I did not miss the meaning. I dwelt on this dilemma all day. All I want now is an e-mail address so I can write the band and tell them they sold out and they suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment