Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gayman

I could not put this book down. This was one of the most interesting and fun reads I have had in a long time. I thought the story was very original and I think this was one of the reasons I like the novel so much. It was refreshing to read a storyline that hasn't been beat to death by pen and paper. There was a line in the book where Silas says, "There are other unremembered gates." I immediately thought of T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets, one of the last lines, "at the unknown, remembered gate." It may or may not have anything to do with that, but I like to think that Neil Gayman knew his Eliot. If this is the case, then that line could be very important. Eliot, when he spoke of the remembered gate, spoke of it only being remembered at the end of all things (thus death). It would make sense that Silas would be aware of entrances and exits after death and Nobody is still oblivious. This line can be connected to the end of the novel, when Nobody is leaving the graveyard. He sees his life ahead of him being the ultimate journey. He wants to explore and eventually learn the deep secrets of the world, or maybe just the graveyard. So, I understand I'm pushing the boundaries alittle bit with the metaphors, but, hey, isn't that the joy of reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment