Saturday, April 10, 2010

My first paragraph

Here is my first paragraph. I would like to know what everyone thinks. And remember, if you don't have anything nice to say, then say it in a nice way. Thanks. P.S. I am to present on Monday....um....so I hope everyone is checking on blogs today. Thanks again.

“If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all.” (Hamlet Act V, Scene ii)

I learned this semester that to truly understand something one must first pick apart the symbolism. Ferdinand de Saussure believed in semiotics, the idea that every word has symbols attached to its meaning. The concept of time is difficult, to say the least. Time is ancient and also always present. Hamlet’s statement passes through so many realms of consciousness that are impossibly to recognized all at once. In order to take on the difficult task of comprehending time I must first take the even more extraordinary task of breaking down time. Time is seen in three forms: time future, time present, and time past. Breaking down these forms individually will help in the understanding of such a fanatical concept. Hopefully, in my contemplation of time I will gain an experience.

3 comments:

  1. Soundsa great to me! Last night as I was reading a passage from the book I was reading it made me think of your paper. I'll let you know when I remember it. helpful? i guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to deal with time personified, like it seems to be in the Bhagavad Gita? I think this intro sounds incredibly intriguing, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how you break time down, especially as we've talked so much about all time in one moment. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, here is the passage from "A Reading Diary" that made me think of your paper. - "Time is circular...And I, of course, will disappear; the new wall, too, will fall away; the books will be scattered. But that of which we all form a part, a part however small, will stay on, fixed under the stars. And, as in the eye of a sculptor chiseling away at stone, the whole will be all the more beautiful for our absence."

    which also reminded me of Badger.

    probably not helpful. But something I thought you might like. Can't wait to hear more tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete