Monday, April 26, 2010

Beethoven and Epiphanies

This semester, my last semester, I had to take an art credit. It was for my core classes and I had put off taking it until the last possible semester. I, actually, wanted to take ceramics. I loved the class in high school and, if I must say so for myself, I made some good pieces. (I even made a teapot shaped like a pyramid and put a vine with flowers around it). Anyways, it was nice. When the day came to choose my classes, I felt that ceramics would take up too much time (from snowboarding). I decided, instead, to take Music 101. I thought, "this will be a piece of egg sandwich." I had heard the teacher was easy, his last name was Funk for goodness sakes, and it would be about rock and roll. All that fun stuff. But....like any story worth hearing, things did not go like I planned. The teacher was not easy (it was not Dr. Funk), and it was on classical music. Now, I'm not much for the classics, music that is. I really just don't know much about it. It was more a case of ignorance and less of stupidity. This class, however, has taught me a lot about the appreciating music than it did the details. I still don't know much about classical music. Whether it's ABA form or ABBA, I'm not too sure. I mainly took from the class only that which related to epiphanies.
I find that music and epiphanies counter exist copacetically. This was first mentioned when we read Wind in the Willows. The flute of pan attracts Rat and Mole to their epiphany. The divine presence that the two animals encountered was accompanied by music. Music, I believe, has the ability to be perfect. Music is less flawed and limited. The Wind in the Willows epiphany then took me directly to the early writings of Greek mythology. It is a popular event in mythology for Kings to have musicians playing at their banquets. The good musicians were compared to Pan. Music became a common denominator for the gods and humans. It created a connection between the two worlds, a staircase to Olympus. This reinforced my thought that music, unlike words, can perfected. All words, when trying to describe an epiphany, seem dull or used. I think it's music that best expresses an epiphany. This is one reason Rat and Mole meet Pan and not another Greek god.
E.Y. Harburg says, "Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.” I think this is one more reason why music and epiphanies are linked. Music has the ability of creating thoughts as well as feelings. Words may have the same power, but words, unlike music, are directed. Classical music, music without lyrics, does not have the ability to direct or decipher. The listener is left to their own thoughts. Emotions felt by music are more genuine. The listener isn't persuaded or distracted by the thoughts of others. The thoughts and feelings one has while listening to a piece of music is unique.
This is my reason for putting this link below. It takes you to Beethoven's 9th Symphony. His last symphony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1saWiYWflQc&feature=PlayList&p=96A21C2CF53DE5C6&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=3

No comments:

Post a Comment