Thursday, February 11, 2010

Life Cycles

I've been working on my part in the Little Gidding presentation and what I plan on saying. I enjoyed group 2's presentation on Wednesday. Sam brought up the life as a cycle concept and I a lot of the Little Gidding references made more sense. I had thought of that earlier when Eliot says, "We die with the dying, see they depart and we go with them, we are born with the dead, see they return and bring us with them." This made me think of how everyone is a part of everything and that fits perfectly with the circle concept. However, today, at lunch, I was talking with Tai. He had his own ideas on Eliot's view on life. I won't say much more because he should do his own blog on it, but Tai's conversation brought up the idea of shapes. While eating we drew out our epiphanies (not great epiphanies by any means). So, the Past, Present, and Future could be seen as a straight line, such as this: Tai has a different approach that is a square and, like I said, he needs to explain that. I don't want it to seem like I stole his idea, mostly because my idea is much more awesome. On with the point, I thought life should be seen as a triangle. So far, we have a line, a circle, a square, and by goodness, we need a triangle.


Here's my view, with Tai's help (I suppose) on life:



Don't worry, I will explain for the low brows. The roof over the house is made up of our past, present, and future because it is what gives us shelter and solace. Our life is spent under the roof and protection of our home, not to mention the roof holds under all our memories and liberations. Next comes the walls, the structure of the home because "Home is where we start from." The door, you will see, is red, such as the color of Past. Reflecting our past experiences in our home, emphasising where we started from. The tree came next. It is the tree of wisdom, trees in literature represent age, a life form that has been there many generations, I also added Owl to the wisdom tree. The river is then drawn representing knowledge. Ever flowing and unattainable. "At the source of the longest river" is knowledge, also known as the sea. We came from the sea and thus, we will return. Floating in the river is the lotus flower signifying birth and rebirth through the water. Last is the hidden gate because lastly we will return to the "unknown, remembered gate." Yet, the key can only be discovered with an understanding of past, present, and future. In this is the meaning of, "my end is my beginning."

No comments:

Post a Comment