Saturday, January 16, 2010

The least important blog you'll ever read...


So I did something foolish. Tonight I worked a banquet for Gallatin Beef Producers, it was their annual Christmas/New Year banquet that they do every year at Riverside. At my table was the head honcho of the Galltatin Beef Producers, a sweet elderly man who didn't have any teeth left, thus he had to have his burger medium well. During dinner I asked how his burger was and he said delicious, then he said something that caught me off guard. He said, "I bet the people of Haiti wish they had a burger such as this," but what I heard was, "I bet the people of Hades wish they had a burger such as this." So, thinking he was joking and trying to be clever, I said, "Yeah, but they don't deserve it" (being the people belonging to Hades). I walked away with a proud "I'm funny" strut, all the while he thought I believed the poor people of Haiti did not deserve a good burger. Realizing what was actually said I found myself with an expression of horror. I, of course, went back and told him our miscommunication and we proceeded to talk about how awful the events in Haiti were.

1 comment:

  1. haha I love this story! It actually reminds me of a similiar experience in my life. I was on a mission trip in Minneapolis and was instructed to help hand out apples to homeless people on the street. I asked a man sitting in the street if he would like an apple. He proceeded to laugh at me and it made me wonder if he was intoxicated. Then it hit me, as he was all out laughing at me I noticed he did not have any teeth which would make it impossible to eat an apple. It made me realize that we should have been handing out twinkies instead of apples...

    ReplyDelete