Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Thought in the Air

“Perhaps this idea of self-as-community was what it meant to be a being in the world, any being; such a being being, after all, inevitably a being among other beings, a part of the beingness of all things" (Rushdie, The Enchantress of Florence).

The question I pose is: should we ever consider ourselves an "I?"

Are we not always one with something? We have to be connected permanently at any given time with one other thing, whether it be the clothes on your back, the thoughts in your brain, or the worries that you carry. When you go to an outing, are you not taking a belonging with you, should it not be considered as an object that could be included in the "we."

The existence of the "I," therefore, should be deleted. Never is "I" possible in conversation. We (myself and this blog) suppose the only time when appropriately saying an "I" in a sentence is in death. It is only logical that when one dies they must only take themselves. It is not possible to say w"e died." For, even if you take someone or something with you--that object will continue to exist in its captivated state; that person will leave this would, but individually, not with the dealer of death and "we."

No, it is only in death that we can use the correct purpose of "I." Only in death are we alone.
This secret is not to be depressing or lonesome. We must admit (me and my thoughts) that by the time of death, we will be exhausted of the "we's." Dear me, the we's will be enough of our existence that the "I" will be welcome--the "I" will be peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment